The Department of Sociology is calling for applications for scholarships within the White Rose Social Sciences Doctoral Training Partnership. The WRDTP is the structure through which PhD students within the Department access Economic and Social Research Council PhD funding to support their studies.
It will give you access to:
· a wide range of training opportunities, particularly focused on maximising the social and economic benefits of your research
· a network of students and researchers studying in your discipline across Yorkshire
· a network of interdisciplinary contacts and the opportunity to develop expertise working across disciplines.
Subject to the ESRC eligibility criteria, the scholarships cover tuition fees and a grant (stipend) to help towards living expenses. In 2016/17, the basic stipend for ESRC studentships is £14,296.
These scholarships are available on a 1+3 (Masters + PhD) or a +3 (PhD only) basis. Before you apply it is important that you read the guidance here.
You should discuss which one of the following themes is the best fit for your research proposal with your potential supervisor.
1. Cities, Environment, and Liveability (CEL)
2. Security, Conflict, and Justice (SCJ)
3 .Education, Childhood, and Youth (ECY)
4. Data, Communication, and New Technologies (DCT)
5. Wellbeing, Health, and Communities (WHC)
6. Sustainable Growth, Management, and Economic Productivity (SMP)
7. Civil Society, Development, and Democracy (CDD)
The deadline for applicants is Wednesday 1 February 2017 at 5pm.
Please note: there are two steps to the application process.
1. You must apply for a place on a PhD programme. Apply for the PhD in Sociology here. This application is reviewed and processed by the Department of Sociology.
2. You must apply for the scholarship separately here. This application is reviewed and processed by the WRDTP.